Skip to main content

Car Re-registration in chennai

Re-registration for a car in Chennai:

I joined amazon-chennai in June 2007. Earlier, I worked with trilogy (bangalore). I was planning to take my Zen back to chennai and complete the re-registration process. I am putting forth some of the pain points I went through to get this done:

I bought my car in 2005 from Sagar Automobiles (bannerghatta road, bangalore). They had done the registration in an RTO close to my house, which I did not know. (I used to stay in hebbal. Consider it as a place quite far from the showroom). I tried to get an NOC by myself from bangalore in 2007. I went to an RTO office closer to the place where I bought the car. I filled in all the documents and after that, the officers in RTO said that I cannot get the NOC done from this RTO. I had to take some police documents and also need to go to the RTO where my car was registered. Frustrated, and with lack of time, I went via a known person. I had to courier all my documents to him with my signatures after which he got the NOC for me.

Now comes the interesting part:
Once I got the NOC, I had to apply for re-registration in chennai. Having had a very bad experience in bangalore RTO, I decided not to go directly and apply. I went to some driving schools and asked if they can get me the re-registration done. To my dismay, everyone said "No". All of you would by now, know the only option left for me, which is : Going directly to the RTO and getting things done by myself.

7/03/2008: I went to the RTO office in Tambaram just to enquire about the process. To my surprise, I was allowed to enter into the office and I directly talked to one of the senior members in the RTO!!!. He saw all the documents including the NOC and asked me to get a police certificate from Assist Commissioner's office, Egmore.. I was shocked.. Where was tambaram and where is egmore!!!. I kinda hinted him that I went to some driving schools and they denied help me. He laughed and said "Sir, this process really doesn't take that much of a pain as you think. Pls go to the commissioner's office and get things done by yourself. Its easy".
I really did not want to go. But, the very fact that I was allowed to talk to some senior member in the RTO office and he gave me the directions kinda hinted me to do stuff by myself. On the same day, I went to the commissioner's office. I went to the CRB division. The document that is expected is that "This vehicle is not having any records of theft. Hence, re-registration may be allowed for this vehicle". The officers in the police quarters were really really helpful. They treated me really well. One of the officers verified the document and asked me to come and collect the verification report by tuesday(11th march 08).
11/03/08: I went to the commissioner's office hoping for the least(I never thought the documents would be ready on the day they said.). Again, I was stumped. The document was ready. The officers asked for fees. I asked him about the amount I need to pay. He said Rs. 20, which is the amount you need to the government for getting that document done... As a citizen, I was happy that process went really smooth without corruption.

12/03/08: Having had success with all Government related offices related to transport, I planned to complete my reregistration process by today (12/03).

I had the following documents:
1. NOC
2. RC
3. Insurance cert
4. Emission Cert
5. Postage cover with stamp (30 Rs each)
6. Affidavit (Yes. You need this certificate from some lawyer that its your car and you are the owner) on Rs 20 stamp paper.
7. Take around 7-8 papers of the chasiss number pencil marked from your car.
8. Have around 5 passport size photos.
9. The important document that you got from the police commissioner's office.
There are a couple of forms that you need to fill in (form 20, 27, 33). They should be available in some shop closer to the RTO. The bad part is that these forms are not sold or given within the RTO itself.
10. You will need two 5 Rs revenue stamp. (I am not sure of the name)
11. (The document which I did not have on 12th march 08) : Invoice.
The road tax for the car = x% of the cost price of the car. In my case, x was 5.25% as my car was 3 years old.

I did not have the invoice. HEnce, calling up the Sagar automobiles today (13th). Will update the blog as I progress through.

Comments

Vijay said…
How much you paid at the end for re-registration, as i am planning to come to chennai next year May in transfer from Bangalore, i need to know this procedure.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
In case of loan do I need to have bank signature/consent in the forms (20 27 33)?

Popular posts from this blog

Paris Brest Paris 2019

Paris Brest Paris 2019 At Finish Line Felicitation by WCCG Finish timing in PBP Hi all, I successfully completed the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km biking event in ~84 hours ( cut off time was 90 hours ). The preparation for this event has been in progress since November 2018 and I am glad I was able to successfully execute the plan I had on the event days. This blog provides details about my preparation for the big PBP event. Strava Link -> Here Pre-registration and registration PBP 2019 had two levels of registrations. First is a pre-registration which is allowed for riders on a certain criteria. Total pre-registrations allowed is ~7000. The criteria was that someone should have completed atleast 200km brevet in the 2017-18 audax calendar season.    I had already done an SR in 2018, hence was able to pre-register without issues. The registration happens around June/July time frame. One can register only if they had completed an SR and also got homologation. I

A new touring machine

Machine Specs: 24t x 36t x 48t FSA crankset 11-28t 8 speed shimano rear cassette 36h Velocity Rear hub 36h polished son28 Dynamo hub Both wheels laced to VO diagonale rims, dt alpine polished triple butted spokes 700cc x 38c fairweather tires VO polished stainless fenders VO Campeur rear rack VO porteur front rack Leather front Mud flap Polished upside-down SON front lamp Polished SON Mud guard rear dynamo lamp Nitto technomic tall quill stem Nitto drop handlebars Gran Compe ene Bar-end friction shifters Brooks Swift Leather saddle Dia Compe brake levers Tektro Cantilever brakes Two water bottle holders And a cute lil bell